Wake Up Safe, a component of the Society for Pediatric Anesthesia, is a Patient Safety Organization as defined in The Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005.
The purpose of Wake up Safe is to improve processes of care and outcomes for newborns, infants, and children in the perioperative environment.
The Goals of Wake up Safe are:
- To define quality in pediatric anesthesia care.
- To develop ways of measuring quality in pediatric anesthesia care.
- To develop robust Quality Improvement Systems within Departments of Pediatric Anesthesia.
- To provide data to allow research about adverse events in pediatric perioperative care.
The Objectives of Wake up Safe are:
- To develop a registry of adverse events in pediatric perioperative care.
- To analyze adverse events and to determine common causes for these adverse events.
- To devise strategies to prevent adverse events.
- To gather data to allow departments to compare their data with national norms.